"The United States would like Canada to keep some of its troops in Afghanistan once its combat mission there ends next year, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Monday.
In response, Canada reiterated its position that it will withdraw all 2,800 soldiers currently stationed in the southern city of Kandahar by the end of 2011."
In a vacuum you might be tempted to think there is nothing they could have done, but that is not the case. Canada, one of our closest allies, was snubbed by Obama and not personally brief on the new Afghan strategy.
Let’s go over that list again:
- Britain – Major Coalition partner, next highest troop commitment after the US.
- France – Has several hundred forces in combat areas, slightly over 3,000 troops overall.
- Germany – Refuses to commit to combat roles, although they have suffered attacks in other areas, slightly more troops than Canada.
- Italy – Fewer troops than Canada, mainly outside of combat roles.
- China – No troops in Coalition.
- Russia – No troops in Coalition.
Now why is Obama relegating Harper to Joe Biden while schmoozing coalition partners with less combat commitment — and two nations that aren’t even part of the effort? It’s a ridiculous, shameful, and embarrassing insult to an American combat ally and one of this nation’s closest friends."