The bulk of American forces are leaving Haiti now that the situation has somewhat stabilized. This was an expected move and something that had been agreed upon. The United States will continue to offer assistance and will have a few hundred personal to help in the rebuilding effort.
"The bulk of U.S. military forces will depart Haiti on Tuesday, leaving United Nations forces and civilian groups to help the country rebuild its devastated capital in the wake of January's deadly earthquake.
The departure, which was agreed upon by the U.S. and Haitian governments and long anticipated, signals that "we have reached a basic level of sustainment in Haiti," said State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley in an interview on Monday. "The military played an essential short-term role, but now this is getting back to where the focus is on development, and that expertise rests in the civilian sector."
The U.S. will remain involved in assisting Haiti through the U.S. Agency for International Development, the lead agency coordinating the U.S. response, U.N. efforts and nonprofit groups, U.S. officials said.
In addition, 500 National Guard troops will be stationed in Haiti for several months to help construct schools, clinics, and community centers, while medical staff aboard the USS Iwo Jima will offer continued medical care to Haitians when the ship arrives in the Port-de-Paix area in July."
Past related posts:
Berman Post: Haiti Smashed With Strongest Earthquake in Over Two Hundred Years
Berman Post: 500,000 People Could be Dead in Haiti From the 7.0 Earthquake
Berman Post: Twitter Helping Haiti
Berman Post: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti Kills More UN Personal Then Any Other Single Incident Ever
Berman Post: Google And Facebook Join The Effort to Help Haiti
Berman Post: Chaos Reigns in Haiti
Berman Post: Obama to Write The Cover Story For Newsweek
Berman Post: Obama's Cover Story For Newsweek
Berman Post: Obama, Bush, And Clinton Join Forces to Help Haiti
Berman Post: ClintonBushHaitiFund.org
Berman Post: Bodies Line The Streets in Haiti (Video)
Berman Post: Women Survives Being Trapped For Six Days in Haiti
Berman Post: 6.1 Aftershock Rocks Haiti
Berman Post: US Military Ordered to Stop Handing Out Food Aid in Haiti
Berman Post: Hugo Chavez - 'US Weapon Caused Haiti Earthquake'
Berman Post: Trapped Under the Rubble in Haiti, There's an App For That
Berman Post: Steven Crowder - Marines Invade Haiti
Berman Post: Man Pulled Out of The Rubble in Haiti Alive 27 Days After the Earthquake
Berman Post: Death Toll From Earthquake That Struck Haiti now 230,000
Berman Post: US Forces Not Flying Our Flag in Haiti