Obama's speech broken down to the basic important points (opinion on the speech to follow) (Update Thoughts on Obama's Speech at West Point on The Future of The War in Afghanistan End of Update:):
1) It is Bush's fault that we are here. He dropped the ball by focusing on Iraq
2) Afghan war is justified.
3) It was not 'dithering' in taking the last three months to decide on course of action because no plan had troops deploying earlier then is planned now.
4) We will send 30,000 troops and start to withdraw in 18 months. Other nations will be helping with this surge.
5) Missions must be to train Afghans to protect themselves.
6) My course was the appropriate middle ground; not cutting and running but not staying indefinitely.
7) We must break the back of the terrorist network. Must keep Pakistan in mind in this effort.
8) American is the security backbone of the world for decades; a just nation fighting for freedom and a better world.
9) Must unite in the effort to win in Afghanistan; we will unite and we will win.