Saturday, September 22, 2012

White House Admits Benghazi Attack Was Planned/Terrorism

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreign-Policy/2012/0921/US-says-Libya-attack-was-terrorism-Was-it-unprepared-for-Arab-Spring-fallout

"After a week of hesitation, the White House now says it is “self-evident” that a “terrorist attack,” and not just a spontaneous reaction from a furious mob, struck the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, last week.

The characterization is important, because it opens the door to the conclusion that the attack was a preplanned assault, resulting in the deaths of four US diplomats, including the US ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens.

The repercussions of declaring that the Benghazi attack was a planned terrorist assault on the United States would be extensive. For starters, it would raise questions about the Obama administration’s precautions in a volatile region and its preparedness for anti-US strikes in an area known to harbor Al Qaeda and other Islamist extremist elements.

More broadly, it could call into question President Obama’s Middle East policy in the wake of the Arab awakening. Some Republican critics are already tarring the policy as too weak and dismissive of the threats that the region’s tumult presents.

Far from clarifying the situation, the White House characterization of the Benghazi attack as self-evidently a terrorist attack only muddies the waters further, some foreign-policy experts say.
"

Read the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Like what you read; Subscribe/Fan/Follow