Friday, February 15, 2013

White House Announces Obama Made no Calls And Took no Action During Benghazi Attack

This ship is moving but no one is at the helm...

"Yesterday, the White House finally shed some light on this question by releasing a letter describing what President Obama was not doing as American diplomats’ lives hung in the balance:

President Obama didn’t make any phone calls the night of the Sept. 11 attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, the White House said in a letter to Congress released Thursday. “During the entire attack, the president of the United States never picked up the phone to put the weight of his office in the mix,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham, South Carolina Republican, who had held up Mr. Obama’s defense secretary nominee to force the information to be released. Mr. Graham said that if Mr. Obama had picked up the phone, at least two of the Americans killed in the attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi might still be alive because he might have been able to push U.S. aid to get to the scene faster. The White House has said Mr. Obama was kept up to date on the attack by his staff, though after being alerted to the attack in a pre-scheduled afternoon meeting he never spoke again with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Martin E. Dempsey or then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.
And there’s this, which (a) re-confirms what we’ve known for some time, and (b) begs the question of why the administration approved false talking points for public consumption:

Mr. Panetta told Congress last week that he knew immediately the attacks were a terrorist assault, though the White House downplayed that notion in the first five days after the attack.
Who conceived of the false talking points and why were they employed at all, let alone for days? Why were requests for security upgrades repeatedly turned down, especially since our intelligence knew of at least ten active jihadi groups operating in Benghazi at the time? If the Commander-in-Chief wasn’t in contact with his top people throughout the raid, and if he wasn’t ordering the full might of the United States military into motion to protect the lives of our diplomats (which he’s claimed is his “number one” priority), what was he doing over those eight hours? Our only clue is a campaign rally in Las Vegas the next day, which the president attended as scheduled — having blown off another daily intelligence briefing, which was a habitual occurrence. That these questions have not been sufficiently answered — or even asked, in some cases — is less a product of masterful White House stonewalling as it is a profoundly vexing indictment of our media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Like what you read; Subscribe/Fan/Follow